In accordance with the motto ‘Present and future needs’, the paper sack industry held this year’s EUROSAC Congress in Marseille, France, from May 26-28. It showcased its latest innovations and elected the winner of the EUROSAC Grand Prix Award 2016.
In addition, activities were presented that have been launched in order to achieve the objectives of EUROSAC’s ambitious ten-year road map. Finding solutions to customers’ rising demands is of the highest importance to the paper sack industry.
“With our manifold activities and innovative spirit, we create a solid basis to be successful in the present and the future,” said EUROSAC president Luis Elorriaga.
The 10-year road map was introduced in 2015. Its objectives were reaffirmed in Marseille. They include innovations of the physical properties and performance of paper sacks to meet the growing customer needs. Furthermore, they address the target groups’ increasing interest in sustainable solutions. To achieve these objectives, the industry implemented initial steps such as investigations into technical solutions, research activities and studies on customer needs as well as a comprehensive communication programme.
Annual EUROSAC Grand Prix Award
During the annual EUROSAC Congress, the federation also acknowledges the innovative efforts of its members by presenting the EUROSAC Grand Prix Award. The five entries showcase the creativity with which the industry develops revolutionary sack solutions and marketing approaches.
1) Gascogne Sacs presented its Hybris range, which combines the advantages of two materials: it complements the traditional paper sack with a plastic appearance on the outside. Thus, it improves the printing opportunities as well as the mechanical and conservation performances, while maintaining the filling performance.
2) The iFoodbag by Mondi Industrial Bags is made from a revolutionary paper-based composite material that is able to maintain the temperature of chilled and frozen goods for up to 24 hours. This opens up opportunities for expanded e-commerce and online grocery shopping.
3) The second entry by Mondi Industrial Bags is the Protector Bag. It is able to protect bulky goods during transport in an efficient, environmentally friendly and cost-effective way. Several layers of paper, a protecting inner tissue and an anti-corrosion coating protect the bag and its contents from damage, dirt and other influences.
4) With its QuickFill Clean concept, BillerudKorsnäs introduced a two-ply high-grammage dust-free cement sack with a service: the company has developed equipment and methods to measure and quantify the amount of dust and cement waste resulting from the use of low-quality sacks. This data is translated by a model into convincing figures concerning lost revenue, impact on worker health, carbon footprint and actual tonnes of cement lost.
5) Self-dy by dy-pack is a pasted paper valve bag with a dustproof, self-closing internal valve: a plastic lip in the valve area secures the closing of the valve after filling to prevent the bag from leaking. With this invention, the innovators at the German company have redefined the valve sack that was developed in the early 20th century by finally making it dust- and sift-proof.
This year’s EUROSAC Grand Prix Award once again went to dy-pack for the Self-dy sack. The jury honoured the sack as an excellent product innovation that opens up great opportunities on the market.